Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Good Day

After a lot of reflection, planning and aborting previously taught lessons, I finally had a good day at school.  I had to rearrange the room.  I had to change the tone I typically use while teaching.  I had to change how I let kids use the bathroom.  I had to alter just about everything.  I am now at least 100% more strict than I was last year.  Today the music teacher said I might as well get them uniforms, but she liked the progress.  However, I actually taught something today and I'm fairly certain a few learned something.

That's a good feeling.

It's amazing how energizing it is to feel like you did a good job.  I haven't felt it since June, so I may have forgotten.

When the kids and I arrived home I was in such a good mood I made them a quick snack and then we made Pumpkin Spice Playdough.  They measured, poured, made a mess and felt great.  They watched me cook it and mix the food coloring.  Then they kneeded it as it cooled on a 'lightly floured surface." 
Christian got the idea of putting the playdough on the kitchen floor and playing with it with his feet.

"Great idea!" is all I said.

They used words like divided, half, share, sculpture, mixture, & ingredients while playing.  I quietly made breakfast for dinner and watched and listened to them play so nicely while enjoying the pumpkin smell with the cool breeze greeting us in the kitchen. 

A Good Day feels so good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are going better for you. I hope that you enjoyed the challenge of changing everything. I bet it's tough, but you of all people can embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I really like this new background of yours. The colors and swirls are great.

    ReplyDelete