Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Today was a Better Day

Yesterday when I got home from school I was beaten down and disappointed.  I was disappointed in myself and my students.  I should have known it would get better, but I just couldn't get past what a crappy day it was for so many reasons.

Today it totally redeemed itself.

Not only because Victoria was there for the first time ever - but because this happened:

We have a subsitute para this week in for my favorite para to help one of my most difficult students of my life. 
Let's just say that's not an ideal situation for any of us involved.  I was more than frustrated.  When I saw the lady I thought maybe she went to my church or something - she looked so familiar.  Turns out she is the mother of one of my most favorite/difficult students of all time.  I blogged about seeing him at a petstore not long ago but can't find that blog, unfortunately.  That was the first student who took a piece of my heart.  I was his teacher my very first year.  I bought him a non-fiction book about restoring cars when he was in 3rd grade.  I've written him 3-4 letters over the years reminding him I'm thinking about him and hope he's making good choices in life and if he ever needs and adult he knows where to find me.

This lady didn't even smile at me.  Nothing.  She looked miserable actually.  She wasn't doing a great job in my room and I was frustrated in the whole situation.

This afternoon I read Mean Jean the Recess Queen and was explaining to my class this book is so tattered because it's so good.  It's really worn.  Pages restapled and restapled again.  The top half of the cover is faded from the sun and the whole right side of the book is tatttered.  Then I mentioned, "Oh it even has my maiden name on it.  That means I've had it for at least 7 years."

I read the book and the kids loved it and I sent them to their desks.  The para walks right up to me and says with tears in her eyes, "You're Miss Motz (pronounced incorrectly) aren't you?! I didn't know!  You were Michael's second grade teacher.  He's a junior now and he still talks about you.  Do you realize you're his most favorite teacher in all of White Bear?" 

By now I had tears in my eyes and can barely speak.

"Yes, of course I remember Michael.  He'll always be one of my favorites.  I just saw him at a pet store not long ago.  I loved seeing him!"

After that she smiled and did a much better job helping my student and we definitely had made a connection.
That is why  I love my job.  You never know where or when you're going to hear you made a difference.  I won't forget that encounter for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, days like that must make it all worthwhile! Good for you for keeping up with a student and sending him encouragement even after he's left your class.

    And thanks for your comment on my blog -- it meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete