Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Time Ice Skating

I used to love ice skating when I was a young teenager.  I remember walking to the park on a very very cold day over Christmas break all by myself and skating until my hands and feet were so numb I was worried about the walk home.

For Christmas we got the kids their own ice skates.  Mark also bought himself new skates.  We busted them all out on today, including my figure skates that I've owned for more than half my life.  I'm certain I smiled when I pulled them out of my closet today.  That is, until I noticed there were actual cobweb around the metal. When I brushed them off I noticed the rust at the bottom.  Neither were a sign that I was going to be spinning circles around my young children.  

We drove the few blocks to the outdoor rink.  Excitedly entered the warming house and got all geared up.  I was breaking a small sweat getting V and me ready.  We headed out.  I was (really) nervous about getting hurt.  Even considered not skating I was so nervous.  I figured I'd skate until I actually fell.  I didn't want to quit since the kids were having a blast!


Within about five minutes, it was clear, Christian is natural.



She liked it.
But she fell.  A lot.  Then she'd play in the snow.
I reminded her that he's getting practice while she's not.
She hopped right back up.
I think she had a flashback to the day they got their training wheels off.

















After about half an hour they were both actually skating and only falling when trying to turn.
About fifteen minutes in it seemed my right lace was loosening to the point I began to like a little too much like Bambi.
When I went to tighten it I realized the actual boot part of the skate was 75% detached from the skate.
That makes skating even more difficult.
I took them off and we've already got me a new pair, since we're planning on skating tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment