Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Annual Trip to Great Grandpa's

When I was little most of my great grandparents had died before I turned two.
My Great Grandma Schema lived until I was four or five.
I have very brief and fuzzy memories of her.
Most of them of her in the hospital when she was dying of leukemia.

I'm hoping my kids are spending enough time with their great grandma and great grandpa
that their memories along with the many many pictures I take of them will help with
their memories as they get older.

Yesterday, the kids and I headed up to Pine City for our annual summer trip.
Christian complained almost the entire way and even cried like he did that first summer I brought him up there in 2008.
I think the road trip to Colorado is going to be extremely intesting if Little Dude can't make it the 68 miles to Pine City without a break down!
It also didn't help I had to turn around five times the closer I got to the house.
Everything looks the same up there!

We finally made it and we were pumped - all for different reasons.
I was excited to spend time with Grandpa.
Besides this once a year trip, when I see Grandpa there's always tons of people around.
He has 5 children, 10 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren + spouses.

Victoria was extremely pumped about picking more than two raspberries at a time (like at our rockin' garden). 
Christian wanted to get out of that mini van and run like a wild animal.


Notice Christian's empty bowl?
He choose to eat each and every raspberry right off the vine until he said, "My belly's full,"
then began putting them in the bowl.


She loved crawling around and finding the ripe and juicy ones.


She got in there and filled up her whole container.


He had a few;-)


We walked down to look at the lake.
I didn't think we were going to go for a boat ride this year.



I was wrong.
Grandpa came down and started it up.
We were all excited.


Especially this Little Dude!


He was loving taking it all in!


Grandpa was so patient giving each kid turn after turn driving.
And he really let them drive, around in circles, toward an oncoming pontoon,
too close to shore.
He just let them be, for the most part.



He absolutely loved driving.
Then he found the horn. . .




The kids love Grandpa's girlfriend, Linda.


Victoria took this picture.
She loves wildlife!

We stopped at a restaurant on the beach.
The kids were less than behaved but Grandpa bought nightcrawlers and we
were off on our next adventure.


Grandpa got them set up to fish.
All we caught was seaweed, but even that excited them!



Christian says this is his first time fishing.
He kept saying, "Wook at me! I'm fishing!!"




When we got back they rode in the trailer.
This was probably the highlight for Christian.
He grinned from ear to ear the entire 3 minute ride all the while waving at me
as I walked along nside of them.


Giving hugs and saying our good byes.
It was a wonderful day.
Our best annual trip so far.
Looking forward to celebrating Grandpa's 80th birthday in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. How are your grandparents so YOUNG?

    My grandfather's (the husband of my living grandma) birthday was in August. If he were alive, he would have been 96 this year.

    HUGE difference...

    ReplyDelete