Total Pageviews

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Squash Attack

This morning I was hurrying around the kitchen.  I was packing Victoria's lunch.  I reached into the pantry for a baggie and stubbed my toe on a Butternut Squash we purchased yesterday. 

I've been totally obsessed with squash in the last couple weeks - I found out they are ZERO PointsPlus!!  Therefore I've purchased a dozen various squash in the last two weeks.

I had 5 squash in a bag on the kitchen floor. I slammed my toe so hard into the little sucker a large chunk got lodged under my toenail.  At first, when I dropped to the floor, I thought I broke it.  I was laying on the floor holding my toe telling the kids to get daddy.  Mark came out and saw the blood and got me on a chair then looked at the squash and started to freak out.  We could see the chunk sticking out from in between the toe nail and skin so he got the tweezers and started digging.  I was huffing and puffing and grunting through the pain telling the kids to get downstairs because they were starting to get scared. 

Finally he backed off - I thought he was going to say he got it all - but no - he said, "I can't do this you gotta get to the doctor."  I tried to walk it off - limp it off actually - and finish getting our things together.  He carried my bags and got the kids into the car.  As I was driving away I was trying to figure out if I should really go to the doctor or not.  Every block I drove it throbbed more and more, so I called.  9:40 appt now seemed like forever away.  I called Laura and said I would be in to drop my things off and then I'd head to the appt.  Every minute that passed the pain got worse.  I called back and had them check three other clinics.  9:40 was as good as it was going to get.  I decided the pain was so bad I was just going to go and sit at the clinic and hope a miracle would happen. 

After texting people, playing a couple games of Tetris and watching old people and a pregnant teenager come and go my name was finally called.  The nurse was shocked about my squash story and even more shocked when I pulled the squash out of my purse to show how much was stuck in there.  She wanted to show other nurses the chunk that was gone.  

Finally the doctor came in and with the largest tweezer and huge set of magnifying headgear glasses and a bright light she went to work poking, prodding and pulling at the flesh under my left big toe.  To say it hurt is an understatement.  My fists were clenched over my face and I was doing my best to be quiet and not kick her in the face.  I just wanted it to be over and I envisioned her rubbing soothing numbing cream all over it when she was done. 

But nope.  No cream since the wound was so open.  She threw some glue on there and called in the nurse to bandage it up.  My voice cracked when I asked for a shot of 'something.'  It hurt sooo bad!

She would give me a shot but since the actual affected area was relatively small a shot would numb nearly half my foot and I wouldn't be able to walk.  I still considered it.  But passed.  Then took a handful of Advil.

The nice nurse bandaged me up and gave me extra gauze, gauze sleeves and tape.  She made sure I had my squash when I left. 

I went to school thanking goodness I had a staff development day and I could sit down for most of the day with my poor toe elevated.

I don't know if tomorrow is going to be better or worse. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment