Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mel Dat?!

About five days after Christian's surgery we were walking home from the park.  I could smell a bonfire and I could hear a lawn mower.  However, we couldn't see either.  Christian said, "Mel dat?" (translation: Smell that?)  He asked if that's what mowing the lawn smells like.  I couldn't believe it.  Could he really never smell before?  The very next day we went to Grandma's Bakery after the Farmer's Market.  We've been there many times before.  We walked in and two feet in the door and he stopped dead in his tracks.  "MEL DAT?!?  MEL GOOOOD!!"  He could never smell fresh donuts and cookies!  I was then convinced he's never been able to smell.  Several other times over the last week he's asked what certain smells were. 

We had his Post - Op appt this morning.  The first thing she asked (after we waited for her for an hour - she already performed a surgery by 8:30am!!) was if he's smelling now.  I asked how she knew he just started smelling and she said with blockage like that there's no way he's been able to smell.  She continued to inform me he also couldn't taste much, so expect him to become a much pickier eater in the next few weeks. 

I am floored to think he hasn't been able to smell in his first 2.5 years of his life.  However, I'm so happy were blessed that it only took 2.5 years to figure this out and get it fixed.  She said we'll continue to see improvements in his breathing and sleeping over the next few weeks.  He recovered perfectly.

Then she asked if the kids are twins.  Everyday somebody asks!  At least once a day.  It's the craziest thing.  When I tell them they're almost two years apart they look at me like I'm crazy and then V starts explaining that she's four - with her little fingers up - and Bobo's only two and a half.  . .

I'm looking forward to Christian smelling all the wonderful smells of fall.

One last time - Good-bye summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment