Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TOY

When Victoria was a baby I was nominated for teacher of the year...by my principal.  What bigger honor in the world?  Ok, in the world is a bit dramatic.  In my life.  There, that's better.

I will never forget finding out and then being so curious as to who it was.  When I found out it was her I was over the moon.  Long story short I ended up being one of the six finalists...then lost.

Since I knew we were going to start trying for baby #2 soon I was relieved (TOY on maternity leave = no good!) and truly honored to get as far as I did.  It really was a dream come true.

A couple years later I was nominated by a parent.  Another very nice gesture.  My student sat next to me in the audience as I stood when they called my name.  (I didn't make it to finalist status.)

This year I was nominated for Teacher of the Year, not once but twice.  Of all the years of my career, the teacher side of me could really use an ego boost.  This has got to go down in history as the most difficult year, professionally.  It's really quite ridiculous, but that's another story for another day that I may never put in writing.

Back to the good stuff.

About two months ago I received a beautiful email from a former parent/colleague/friend about how she nominated me for Teacher of the Year.  I cried while reading it and then called and left her a voicemail.  Talk about a hot mess!  I tried to control my voice while thanking her and talking about her and her family and then took a huge gulp and actually started crying and then just hung up.  Haven't spoken to her since.  Now, that's weird!  Probably should get in touch with her...soon.

When I got the email this week from the district that I was nominated, obviously I knew, however I was shocked to see someone else nominated me also!

The mother of one of my current students nominated me.  Her daughter was in my class last year too.  I have a lot of respect for this single mom.  I feel so amazingly honored she would take the time to fill out the form.

Not to toot my own horn but since the papers will probably end up in a paper stack in my office sooner rather than later I would like to record them.

Parent #1:

My oldest son, Jake, now a junior, had Mrs. B--- for a 2nd grade teacher.  But, much to our dismay, she went on very early bed rest with her pregnancy so after only a month, they brought in a long term sub, Kelly M---.  I was anxious as a new parent...would this be ok??  Well, since the first time I met her & volunteered (possibly to get a sneak peek at her teaching) I was blown away. What a natural.  Kelly's expectations are clear, and her classroom shows it.  She teaches them far more than math or reading.  She teaches them kindness, respect & how to be a good friend.  She cares about the kids so much that she wants to challenge them.  She celebrates with them and never gives up on them.  She has so much energy and enthusiasm, that the students get excited to learn.

Parent #2:

Mrs. H----- has had both my kids and she is so wonderful!  She makes the kids feel so special and extends her hand to make sure everyone makes sure everyone has an extra special experience in the second grade.  She keeps the parents informed on what's happening in her classroom.  She puts the extra effort into everyday teaching.  I have never met a more caring/kind/loving/ teacher ever!  We really wish for her to win teacher of the year because she truly deserves it and has touched our lives!

Well, if that doesn't warm my heart, I don't know what does!!

I emailed Parent #2 yesterday and thanked her and said I'd be honored if the girls accompanied me to the ceremony in a couple months.  Even though I know I'll be in the audience rather than on stage, it's a pleasure being nominated, not once but twice!


Maybe next time I have a rough day I'll look back on this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment