Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Christian's Preschool Screening

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to take Christian to his preschool screening.  I was pretty nervous.  I attempted to teach him specific skills.  That didn't hurt, but it didn't help since the questions changed in the last couple years.  Apparently, they have parents worse than me!

We headed in and we had a reward ready.  A lunch at Old Country Buffet if he followed directions well.

Ok, we were ready.

Then we walked in.

This kid was way more nervous than me.  Wanting to sit on my lap rather than do a puzzle.  Asking many questions while cuddled up to me.

Then I was even more nervous.  Dear God, If he was this nervous, how the hell was he going to do!?  This is important!  Really important!  (Weeks later I've come to realize not such big deal.)

It began.  Asking questions.  Building with blocks.  Answering questions.  Sequencing.

He was doing ok in my mind.  I knew he could do better.  I've seen better...from him.
Much less a couple years ago when his sister rocked this test like she was a third grader.

Eventually it got...uncomfortable.

I will say...it was painful.  I gasped a couple times.  I flinched.  I couldn't believe what the hell I was seeing.  At one point I text Mark, 'Watching my worst nightmare come true:-('

Really?  What did I do wrong? Second child syndrome? I am the worst parent in the world. I must do better.  Tonight we're going to start .......

Then he took his visions test.


Then hearing which he thought was funny to smile at me when he heard the beep rather than raise his hand.
When I finally started scowling at him when he smiled he began raising his hand.


Turns out, he scored almost as high as his sister.
But I don't compare.

Ok, ok. I compare.  I need to stop.
Turns out the little dude is very smart and can do very well.
I know he's better at many things than big sister, 
but when it comes to school I want them both to excel. 
 Hopefully this screening has an indication they'll both be successful.

We both enjoyed a extremely satisfying lunch at OCB with double desserts - 
We had both earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment