Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Boating Adventures Part I

Several years ago my husband convinced me to let him purchase the Family Yacht.  (I need to find that link)  For the record that boat has yet to hit the water.  Let's be honest, it's a real possibility it may never hit the water.

However, in the last few months we acquired a boat that not only floats but actually runs!

We've been enjoying it immensely and have many great stories about getting that 17 footer out of the water.  We're quite the team, let me tell ya.  I mean that sarcastically and literally.  We are quite the team in every sense of the phrase.

These pictures are from the very first time we took it out.  Gervais Lake close to home.  On a cloudy cold day, hoping we'd be the only ones at the landing.


It was eventful and entertaining and a whole new adventure to this Humphrey Clan until the boat quit running.  I had no choice but to sit back and reassure the kids that daddy would figure it out.  I had to have faith since the sun was beginning to set, we were cold and hungry and it was a school night.
MacGyver - I mean Mark - some how knew that there was a cord stored in the motor and you could wrap it around it and pull really really hard to manually start it.

I was impressed.
I saw what he was doing, he asked me to take the wheel - which in hindsight was odd since we were the only ones on the lake and we were just drifting in the middle of it - 
so MacGyver - oops - Mark - gives it a big yank and sure enough starts the boat.  
However, the end of the rope hit me on top of the head, as I was facing the other way.
It really almost knocked me out.  I saw black briefly.  I was confused as what fell out of the sky that hard when he starts telling me to move over when I realize what it was.
Thank goodness my head was turned and thank God it hit me and not one of the kids.

And we were off.




Not a single bite.
But nobody cared.


We ended up getting the boat out after 5 tries and several strangers watching us.

Oh wait.  Did I mention this is the first time we actually got in the boat and not the first time we launched it?  The day prior we launched that bad boy but somebody forgot to put the plug in it.
Bet you thought I wasn't going to include that, huh honey?  
Wouldn't want to forget such a funny story, now would we?  Look how far you've come!


Our following excursions were also very entertaining but never lacked stories to be told.
They've ranged from hours of fishing on opener and not a single bite, to waiting for almost an hour just to launch, to me being waist deep moving the boat on Memorial Day weekend as we were trying to load the boat back on the trailer as Mark balanced on the trailer yelling orders at me while no less than 50 strangers watched and a long line of more experienced boaters waited for us.   


But look at this proud face and the his big catch of the day.
How can I deny, the man is happy on the water?



This girl would rather do art projects than fish.
She says that was her favorite day on the boat.


Or maybe it was the day she put on ALL the life jackets
just to keep herself entertained.

Seems, her and I are more and more alike.


And this little dude is more and more like his daddy.


All in all, we're having a great time enjoying family time on the water.


We finally hit the jackpot on Bald Eagle.
It was a gorgeous day and the fish were starving.






Good thing, we weren't!


More adventures to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment