Total Pageviews

Friday, April 1, 2011

Ten Years Ago

Ten years ago today it was a Sunday.

I taught Sunday School that morning.

I visited my, then, 14 year old friend Nicole for her birthday.  She french braided my hair, which she loved to do.

I went out with my roommate that night.  Every bar was closing early because it was a Sunday.

Our third try we hit the jackpot.  A little dive bar on the Eastside.  We didn't care.  It was somewhere to hang out for a few hours before heading back to River Falls. 

I pulled in and we got out of my car.  We were talking about something - probably "Wow, we sure are desperate for something to do tonight if we're going in here." ;)

Before I got to the door I saw a guy sitting at the bar.  I stopped, literally stopped, and looked at him.
I said, "Look at him.  I'm going to marry him."  Sara laughed and we went in.

This guy was so cute I was nervous to talk to him.  He eventually started talking to me and ultimately asked for my phone number.  I seriously thought, "Is he joking?  Did Sara tell him to ask me or something?"

One thing led to another and we've been together ever since that day.

Ten years ago, today, I met my husband.

Mark knew me before I was a mommy and wife and even a teacher. 

He knew me as a college student, a Sportsman's Guide employee, and a girl who loved to have a good time.

We fell in love very fast.

It was love at first sight. 

In ten years we've grown so much as individuals and as a couple. 

We moved in together while I was still in college.  He held me when I received my first and only D and bawled my eyes out realizing I would be retaking Teaching Diversity that summer.  He moved with me to Therese and Terry's basement so I could help watch Jonnie while Therese traveled for work.  He fixed my old car when it broke.  He smiled at me at my graduation.  He hugged and cheered for me when my dream came true: my first real teaching job.  He kneeled down and asked me to marry him at Minnehaha Falls.  He helped me plan our gorgeous wedding.

Then he and I became WE. 

We bought our first home together. 

We had our baby girl just over a year later. 


He proudly watched me receive my Master's the same day we found out we were expecting again. 

He held my hand and cheered me on through the very quick natural delivery of our son. 

We have held hands while walking down beaches in Mexico. 





We have had extrememly long conversations about how much we love our family and our hopes and dreams for our futures. 


We pray with our children every night.




No matter what, we are a team. 

So much has happened in the last ten years.  So much has changed in the last ten years.  Somehow, it keeps getting better.  Even if we're just watching a movie.  Even if we're out and I'm dancing and he's hanging back talking, we're a team. 

Mark, I can't imagine my life without you.  I don't know who I'd be without you.  I'm thankful for you everyday.  I can recall that night ten years ago so clearly.  It seems so recent.  But it also seems like a lifetime ago. 

I wonder what the next ten years has in store for us.  No matter what, I'm lucky to have you by my side through it all.

Happy "anniversary."

Love,
YW


No comments:

Post a Comment