Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Night Before Kindergarten

Dear Christian,
       Tomorrow you begin kindergarten.  I am not sad.  I am not nervous.  I am proud of you.  I know you'll do well.  You do your very best in the school setting.  I walked by you and daddy during your orientation a couple days ago and you were looking right at the teacher paying attention.  I think kindergarten will be so good for you.  Plus, we'll kind of be together all day.  I'll see you in the halls, maybe even at lunch.  I'll certainly stop by for a minute or two in the afternoon to see how awesome you are doing.  Victoria will be on the bus with you for the ride to school.  I already made her promise to sit with you, even though she wants to sit with her best friend too.
        I'm looking forward to hearing about your first day.  About your new friends.  About the teacher I know you'll love.  I look forward to watching you walk the halls for the kindergarten Halloween Parade.  I look forward to seeing your Spiderman backpack hang on your hook when I walk by.  I look forward to attending your conferences.  I look forward to your art work and especially your writings coming home.  I'm looking forward to watching you grow academically and socially.  When I watch you with other kids I think you are very mature.  I think you will thank your big sis for that one day.  You love to listen to stories. You said your kindergarten goal is to learn how to read.  I know you will.
         I packed your very first lunch for you tonight.  I put a lot of food in there.  I don't know what you'll be in the mood for.  I don't know how hungry you'll be.  I don't know how messy you'll get.  (I'll try to stop by to make sure you're not the kid with food all over your face.)  I put you a note.  I'm not sure if you'll know to raise your hand to have it read to you.  Maybe you'll save it to have me read it to you when we get home.  Maybe you'll be having so much fun you'll just toss it.
        You picked out your outfit for tomorrow.  I pulled out comfortable black shorts and a monster truck t-shirt.  You told me you had to dress fancy for kindergarten and pointed to a collared striped shirt hanging in your closet.  You even tried on the army green shorts and jumped up and down in them so you 'won't be embarrassed if they fell down.'  Your shorts have only fallen once in your life - but you're still a bit traumatized from that.
        I do know I am proud to be your Mommy and proud of the little boy you are.  You are smart.  You are kind to your friends.  You are a rule follower.  You are a good listener.  You are strong and coordinated.  You are my favorite #1 son.  I love you to pieces and can't wait to see you in school tomorrow.

                                   Love you always and forever no matter what,
                                                        Mommy


Odelis just texted me this poem:

The First Day of School

I used to be little, but not anymore.
Tomorrow I'll get up and walk out the door.
I'm going to school - it's the first time for me.
It's going to be big, but I'm scared as can be.

My tummy's in knots.  Do you want to know why?
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, I'll cry!
When Dad leaves the school and I'm there all alone,
I'm thinking that maybe I'll want to go home.

But wait- Mommy said I'll play lots of new games.
And meet lots of friends - I can learn all their names.
The first day of school, oh there's so much to do!
There's painting and books and a big playground too.

I sued to be little, but not anymore.
Tomorrow I'll get up and walk out the door.
I'm going to school - it's my first day you see,
It's great to be big!  I'm so glad that I'm me!



No comments:

Post a Comment